We’re excited for a (slight) return to normalcy this holiday season, and thrilled to introduce some new gift ideas for 2022! Here’s some top gifts our team will be giving loved ones this year:
Featured Gift: National Children’s Museum Membership
This holiday season, give the gift of wonder and play! Imagine a place where you can build a car to race toward a photo finish, navigate a three-story climber to zip down a thrilling slide, and control the weather using a green screen all in one day!
The possibilities are endless at National Children’s Museum in D.C., where hands-on learning and play fuel STEAM adventures. Part children’s museum, part science center, the Museum engages children under twelve and their families in shared learning experiences through playful exhibits and programs that explore science, technology, engineering, arts, and math concepts.
Gift a membership to the young innovators in your life and spark year-long learning! Membership includes:
- 1 year of free admission
- Special members-only hours
- 10% discount in the gift shop, and
- Exclusive member discount for special events
National Children’s Museum is located in the heart of downtown, just steps from the Mall and Federal Triangle Metro Station. Open 9:30 am – 4:30 pm every day but Tuesdays with admission of $15.95 for visitors one and older. Learn more and purchase gift membership here.
Gifts for Moms
Gifts from Local, Mom-Owned Businesses
We love supporting local moms! If you know of any other gifts we should add to this section of our gift guide, please let us know in the comments below. Of course, take a look at our Favorite Things Guide from this year too!
- Monthly Flowers from Green Hydrangea – Nothing brightens up my day quite like a bouquet of flowers, so what could be better than a monthly delivery? Tess Finnegan’s Green Hydrangea offers the “Bucket List,” a monthly delivery of seasonal flowers to brighten up someone’s day throughout the year.
- Clothes from Maven Women – Rebecca Ballard started Maven Women to create sustainable clothing designed specifically for women’s bodies. Their unique fitting process and commitment to fair trade and organic fabrics make for the perfect gift for any woman of any size.
- Silver Glow Studio – Want to give the gift that keeps giving, plus is fresh and new each month? Get mom a monthly Candle Subscription which delivers safe, non-toxic candles to your door.
- Gift Set from Take Care – One of my favorite shops in DC is Take Care, owned by Becky Waddell. Take Care is a natural skin care and self care shop in Georgetown in the most beautiful, calming space. Stop in to experience the shop and to discover their new, curated gift sets!
- Stationery from Wynwood Letterpress – Who doesn’t love to get a gift with their name on it?! Local mom Bridget Dadd founded Wynwood Letterpress, which creates gorgeous custom stationery, notepads, and other paper products. A personalized notepad makes the perfect teacher gift, and stationery with the child’s name is one of my favorite gifts for new moms.
- Lauren Heller Art Consultant – If you are looking for inspiration for your walls, this local mom has you covered! She identifies and installs beautiful pieces of art to make your home feel beautiful. We are at home A LOT and this is an excellent gift. She offers art consulting for the real world!
Every mom could use a little time for herself, where she doesn’t have to worry about anyone else. Here are a few self-care gifts we guarantee the mom in your life will appreciate:
- Naturally London At-Home Pedicure Kit (DC-based)
- Tea Gift Set from Calabash Tea & Tonic (DC-based)
- Acorn Slippers
- A Nap (FREE!)
A personalized gift is always a hit, showing you took a little extra time to pick something especially for your gift recipient. Here are our favorite personalized gifts for moms.
- Tote Bag from Tuckernuck (DC-based & Mom-Owned)
- Personalized Travel Mug
- Family Photo Puzzle
- Tweed Wolf Photo Albums
It may sound cliche, but jewelry is always a hit! We love these designers for moms:
- Initial Ring from Diament Jewelry (DC)
- Loren Hope Jewelry
- Mimosa Handcrafted
- Earrings from 76 and Maine
Reader Recommendations for Moms
- XL carryall from SCOUT (DC-based and mom-owned)
- Athlesiure from Bitter Grace (DC-based – use code DCMOMS for free shipping!)
- Plants from Re-Wild (DC-based)
- Clothes or Accessories from The Phoenix (DC-based)
- Slippers from Park Story (DC-based)
- Jewelry from Kicheko Goods (DC-based)
Gifts for Dads
Food & Drink Gifts
When in doubt, go with food! And remember, caffeine is usually a hit, too:
- Luke’s Lobster Meal Kit (Available at Whole Foods in DC, MD, and VA)
- Johnnie Walker Blue Label
- Coffee from Compass Coffee (DC, MD, and VA) they have a cute holiday blend in a tin!
- Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer
Most of the dads I know don’t want more stuff to take care of and put away. For these men, experience gifts are the way to go:
Whether a brand new dad or one with years of experience under his belt, these gifts will be sure to put a smile on his face:
- The New Dad’s Survival Guide
- City Bonfires S’more Kit
- Fun Socks with Your Kids’ Faces on Them
- Photo Calendar
Gifts for Babies
Personalized Presents for Babies
These personalized gifts will become family keepsakes:
Books & Toys for Babies
Tried and true baby favorites, as recommended by your DC Area Moms’ Contributors:
- The Holly-Day After
- Baby See, Baby Do Book (Available at Child’s Play in DC, MD, VA)
- What Should I Wear? Book
- The First Years Stack Up Cups or Grimm’s Wooden Stacking Cups
- Jellycat Musical Bunny Pull Toy
- Fisher Price Rock & Stack Bundle
- BRIO Toddler Wobbler (Available at Tugooh Toys in DC)
Reader Recommendations for Babies
Gifts for Toddlers
Games & Toys for Toddlers
These toys and games will get your toddlers’ imaginations and minds working while having a blast:
- grOH! Playrooms
- Magna-Tiles (Available at Child’s Play in DC, MD, and VA)
- Play Follies Building Set
- Radio Flyer Scooter
- Crayola Color Wonder Kit
- Remote Control Car
- LEGO Duplo Blocks (Amazing selection at Tugooh Toys in DC)
- Sarah’s Silks
- Toddler Photo Puzzle
Attire for Toddlers
Your toddler will be stylin’ in these:
Gifts for Bigger Kids
We are SO fortunate in DC to have access to amazing (and often free!) museums for our kids. These gifts are perfect for your little museum lover:
- National Children’s Museum Membership
- Holiday Museum Kit (DC-based, local mom-owned!)
- National Aquarium Membership
Puzzles & Game Gifts
These puzzles and games will get your kids minds working and keep them entertained:
- Puzzles from Puzzle Huddle (MD) – local dad-owned!
- Personalized Memory Game
- Story Cubes
- Year Cheer Subscription Box
Gifts that Give Back
- Pirate Pretend Play Set – Hand-crafted by parents in Haiti who are empowered to care for their children through their craftsmanship, this fun set is perfect for imaginary play.
- Roma Rain Boots – Fun and functional Roma boots will not only keep your kiddos’ toes warm and dry, but a pair is donated to a child in need for each pair you purchase.
- Soccer Ball from One World Play Project – For every ball purchased, One World Play Project donates a portion of proceeds to provide sports equipment to communities in need.
- Adopt a Sloth – Buy a kit, and the Sloth Conservation Foundation will take care of a sloth for the next 12 months in your name!
- Yoobi Craft Supplies – For every item you purchase, another is donated to a classroom in need. Donations are made through the Kids in Need Foundation.
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Tote Bag – Proceeds from bag purchased go toward literacy programs and books for communities in need.
- Paint Your Own Cookie Kit (DC-based)
- Clothing from Lemon Lane Consignment (VA-based)
- Tea Party from Tea with Mrs. B (DC-based)
- Games from The Toy Nest (VA-based)
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through these links the price won’t change for you and a teeny tiny portion of the sale would go to support our site. We’re so grateful for your support!