If you haven’t taken your kids to experience the magic of The Kennedy Center yet, now is the perfect time! This summer, The Kennedy Center is home to Disney’s Aladdin, the hit Broadway musical, and it is a performance the whole family will LOVE.
Disney’s Aladdin – A Live Performance for Audiences of All Ages
Before the show, I was admittedly a little nervous about how my five year-old son would manage sitting through the 2 1/2 hour performance (even with the planned intermission). This show would be his first time attending any theatre performance, let alone one in the Grand Opera Hall at The Kennedy Center. This concern, however, turned out not to be a problem at all. This reimagining of Aladdin for the stage is a feast for the eyes. The story is action packed with characters running, jumping, dancing, (and don’t forget flying!) all over the stage. The set design and the costumes are colorful, sparkly, and lavish… in one word: DAZZLING. In addition, there are special effects that help bring some of the most memorable scenes from the original classic animated tale to life. My family, including my five year old son, watched the entire performance, enchanted by the story’s retelling.
Enjoy Kids’ Night with Buy One, Get One Free!
Kids’ Night at Disney’s Aladdin at the Kennedy Center. Bring your entire family a Kids’ Night and get Buy one, Get one free tickets to select orchestra level seats. Kids’ Night promo is valid on August 21 at 7:30 pm, August 28 at 7:30 pm and September 4 at 7:30 pm performances of Disney’s Aladdin. Use promo code 362536 or click the link to buy.
A Few Highlights from Disney’s Aladdin The Hit Broadway Musical
- Without a doubt, my family’s favorite scene is when Aladdin meets the genie in the cave!! (WOW!) You will still be cheering Major Attaway’s performance as the lovable, joke-telling genie long after the show’s final curtain.
- If you think the magic carpet ride is something that only an animated movie can pull off, think again! The magic carpet does fly high above the stage for an absolutely beautiful and breathtaking performance of “A Whole New World.”
- The dialogue has been updated to include many new light-hearted jokes and comedic references that families will love. Even during the few slightly scary moments, the show does a great job of adding dialogue to inject levity.
And a Few Updates from the Animated Movie Version
- Viewers will notice that the Broadway musical does not contain any of the original animal sidekicks. These roles have been reimagined as human actors.
- In addition to the hit songs you know and love from the original animated movie, the Broadway musical rounds out the performance with several new original scores.
Disney’s Aladdin – What to Know Before You Go
1. Don’t Miss Seeing This Hit Broadway Musical
Disney’s Aladdin is being performed at The Kennedy Center through September 7, 2019.
2. Have Young Kids? Try a Matinee Performance
We bought tickets for one of the weekend shows that start at 1:30pm. The daytime performance feels slightly more relaxed than an evening show. There were many families and no one notices if your five year-old leans over to ask you a question about the show in his best “whisper” voice.
3. Thirsty? Beverages Can Be Enjoyed During the Show
Did you know that you can now bring beverages into the Opera House to enjoy during a performance? It’s true! As long as they are enjoyed in one of The Kennedy Center’s reusable souvenir cups (available for purchase at concession stands). Just remember to bring them back with you when seeing future performances!
4. Visiting the Rooftop Terrace Is a Must
The rooftop terrace at The Kennedy Center offers some of the best views of Washington, DC and the Potomac River. It’s also the perfect place to appreciate the building’s stunning architecture. I love ending our visits to The Kennedy Center by enjoying the views from this terrific vantage point.
5. Enjoy Kids’ Night with Buy One, Get One Free
Kids’ Night offers Buy one, Get one free tickets to select orchestra level seats. Kids’ Night promo is valid on August 21 & 28 at 7:30 pm and September 4 at 7:30 pm performances of Disney’s Aladdin. Use promo code 362536 or click the link to buy.